Elisa H. Birnbaum, MD
Specialty: Colon and rectal surgery
University of Colorado Hospital
1635 Aurora Court
Aurora, CO 80045
9548 Park Meadows Drive
Lone Tree, CO 80124
About Dr. Elisa Birnbaum
Elisa Birnbaum, MD, has clinical focuses on pelvic floor abnormalities, surgical treatment for constipation, prolapse and fecal incontinence, and minimally invasive approaches to surgery (both laparoscopic and robotic). She earned her medical degree at the University of Illinois Medical Center before completing a surgery residency at Long Island Jewish Medical Center and a fellowship in colon and rectal surgery at The Jewish Hospital of St. Louis.
She chose this field of medicine because in colorectal surgery, a large proportion of the patients are women affected by pelvic floor problems. Dr. Birnbaum also appreciated that the field encompasses a wide variety of disease processes, from benign to malignant, simple to complex.
Dr. Birnbaum is currently a professor of surgery, colon and rectal surgery, at the University of Colorado School of Medicine. She has held several university teaching and director positions throughout her career and has earned several awards and honors of distinction. Her experience in research and medical publication is extensive, as is her membership and leadership in professional organizations.
Board certified in general surgery and colon and rectal surgery, Dr. Birnbaum started a Multidiscipline Pelvic Floor Conference at Washington University School of Medicine. She recently began a similar conference at the University of Colorado as well.
Approach to patient care
She considers this multidisciplinary approach to treating women as one of her greatest strengths, requiring her to work with urogynecologists, urologists, gastroenterologists and physical therapists. Dr. Birnbaum says her breadth of experience managing and operating on women with pelvic floor abnormalities is one factor that sets her apart from other surgeons.
Her philosophy of care is to approach the symptoms a woman relates to her then come up with a management plan together, and to always try medical management first before considering surgery. “Each patient is different and needs to have a personalized treatment plan,” says Dr. Birnbaum. “Many of these patients need a multidiscipline approach and we try to coordinate their care to make it as simple as possible.”
Her patients value most that Dr. Birnbaum tries to work through patient problems and patient care logically. Sometimes this means that medical management is the best option and sometimes surgery is offered. Either way, her patients respect that she will be completely honest and transparent with them.
Dr. Birnbaum is a relatively recent arrival to Colorado, moving to Denver in 2017 after her youngest child went to college. She grew up in Illinois, trained in New York, and lived and worked in St. Louis for 27 years before moving here.
1981 B.S. University of Wisconsin, Madison
1985 MD, University of Illinois Medical Center
1990 Surgery residency at Long Island Jewish Medical Center
1991 Fellowship in colon and rectal surgery at The Jewish Hospital of St. Louis
Medical licensure and board certifications
1986 National Boards NBME License\Cert.
1987 Medical License, State of NY
1991 Medical License, State of MO
1991 American Board of Surgery License\Cert.
1992 American Board of Colon and Rectal Surgery License\Cert.
2017 Medical License, Number: 0058566, State of CO, Term: Full
Professional societies and organizations
1991 – present American Board of Surgery
1992 – present Association of Women Surgeons, Member
1992 – 2014 Missouri State Medical Association, Member
1992 – 2017 St. Louis Surgical Society, Member
1992 – present American Board of Colon and Rectal Surgery
1994 – present American College of Surgeons, Fellow
1995 – present American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons, Fellow
1998 – 2017 United Ostomy Association of Greater St. Louis, Member
2001 – present Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America (CCFA)
2005 – present American Medical Association Women’s Association, Member
2011 – 2017 Western Surgical Association, Member
2014 – 2017 Academic Women’s Network, Member
Professional honors and recognition1990 Outstanding Surgical Resident for the Academic Year, 1989-1990, Long Island Jewish Medical Center
1991 The Northwest Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons Award – Best Paper presented by a resident, ASCRS
2003 Evart A. Graham’s Resident Teaching Award, Department of Surgery House Officers, Washington University, St. Louis
2005 American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons Award of Appreciation
2013 Innovation Award Science and Citizens Organized for Purpose and Exploration (SCOPE)
2017 Faculty Mentorship Award House Officers, Washington University
Diseases of Colon and Rectum, Member, Editorial Board – completed
Diseases of the Colon and Rectum
Annals of Surgery
Journal of American College of Surgeons
Peer-reviewed original researchNon-Governmental:
1996 - 1997 American Medical Systems, Inc.A Multi-Center Prospective Study to Evaluate the Safety and Effectiveness of the American Medical Systems, Inc., Artificial Bowel Sphincter (ABS) Prosthesis Protocol Sub PI: Elisa Birnbaum PI: James Fleshman
2002- 2010 Ex-Vivo Sentinel Lymph Node Mapping in Patients Undergoing Laparoscopic Colectomy for Colon Cancer Washington University Sub PI: Elisa Birnbaum PI: James Fleshman
2002 - 2010 Ex-Vivo Sentinel Lymph Node Mapping in Patients UndergoingProctectomy for Rectal Cancer Washington University Sub PI: Elisa Birnbaum PI: James Fleshman
2005 - 2008 Treatment of Fistula in Ano Using A Porcine Intestine Submucosa Graft (Surgisis® AFP). Cook Plug. Sub PI: Elisa Birnbaum PI: James Fleshman
2006 - 2009 A Phase II Study of Surgical Debulking Peritonectomy and Biweekly Intraperitoneal 5FU with Systemic Oxaliplatin/5FU/Leucovorin in Patients with Pseudomyxoma Peritonei or Peritoneal Carcinomatosis. Sub PI: Elisa Birnbaum PI: Fleshman PI.
2007 - 2008 Molecular Markers to Predict the Behavior of Adenocarcinoma of the Rectum Johnson and Johnson Sub PI: Elisa Birnbaum PI: Matthew Mutch
2011 - 2014 Multicenter, Prospective, Observational Study of GORE BIO-A Fistula Plug for use in Anal Fistula. Gore Bio PI: Elisa Birnbaum
2011 – 2014 A Phase II, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Dose Finding Study to Evaluate the Safety and Efficacy of Ipamorelin Compared to Placebo for Recovery of GI function following Small or Large Bowel Resection with Primary Anastomosis.PI: Elisa Birnbaum
2012 – 2017 Washington University Robotic vs Laparoscopic Resection for Rectal Cancer (ROLARR) Medical Research Council/National Institute for Health Research (UK) Leeds Institute of Clinical Trials Research University of Leeds Sub PI: Elisa Birnbaum PI: Matthew Mutch
2013 - 2017 A Double-Blind, Randomized, Phase III Trial of the Safety and Efficacy of Eflornithine Combined with Sulindac Compared with Eflornithine and Sulindac as Single Agents in Patients with Familial Adenomatous Polyposis (FAP) and Attenuated (AFAP). Cancer Prevention Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Sub PI: Elisa Birnbaum PI: Paul Wise
2013 - 2017 Phase III Trial of a Myeloperoxidase-Based Drug (Topical E101) Directly Applied to the Surgical Wound is Safe and Effective in Preventing Incisional Surgical Site Infections. Excited States Sub PI: Elisa Birnbaum PI: Matthew Mutch
2015 - 2017 Washington University A Randomized, Controlled, Parallel, Multicenter Study Assessing Perfusion Outcomes with PINPOINT® Near Infrared Fluorescence Imaging in Low Anterior Resection (PILLAR III) Washington University Sub PI: Elisa Birnbaum PI: Matthew Mutch
2015 – 2017 An Evaluation of the Safety and Efficacy of the CleanCision Wound Retraction and Protection System in Protecting Surgical Incisions from Intraoperative Contamination When used During Colorectal Surgery Prescient Surgical, Inc. PI: Elisa Birnbaum
2011- 2017 Phase III Prospective Randomized Trial Comparing Laparoscopic-Assisted Resection versus Open Resection for Rectal Cancer (Z6051) NCI ACOSOG Sub PI: Elisa Birnbaum PI: Matthew Mutch
2013 - 2017 CPTAC Tissue Source Site-Washington University-Colon A Prospective Collection Proposal for CPTAC Colon Tissue Procurement NIH Sub PI: Elisa Birnbaum PI: Matthew Mutch
2014 – 2017 Phase II Multicenter Randomized Trial Evaluating Year Disease Free Survival in Patients with Locally Advanced Rectal Cancer Treated with Chemoradiation Plus Induction or Consolidation Chemotherapy and Total Mesorectal Excision or Non-operative Management NIH Sub PI: Elisa Birnbaum PI: Steven Hunt
Invited publicationsBirnbaum EH, Rafferty J. Endocavitary irradiation for rectal cancer. IN: Seminars in Colon & Rectal Surg 1996;7:4:238-242.
Birnbaum EH. Editorial Comment on Preoperative irradiation affects the functional results after surgery for rectal cancer: results from a randomized study. Dis Colon Rectum 1998.
Birnbaum EH. Rectovaginal fistulas caused by infection: evaluation and management. IN Seminars in Colon & Rectal Surgery, W.B. Saunders Company, 1999; 10(1):46-48.
Gordon LL, Birnbaum EH. Fecal incontinence: putting it all together – what treatment for what patient. IN: Seminars in Colon & Rectal Surgery 2001; 12(2): 131-137.
Birnbaum EH. Anal stenosis. IN: Vasilevsky CA (ed), Anorectal Surgery, Clinics in Colon and Rectal Surgery, Vo. 14.; Thieme Medical Publishers, New York, NY; 2001, 215-9.
Birnbaum EH. What’s new in colon and rectal surgery. J Am Coll Surg, 2006; 202:485-494.
Birnbaum E. Colorectal Surgery. Am J Surg. 2007 Jan; 193(1):125-6.
Birnbaum EH. Work-up of the constipated patient. Clin Colon Rectal Surg. 2008 Nov; 21(4):313-7.
Brasel KJ, Birnbaum EH, Datta I. Canadian Association of General Surgeons, the American
College of Surgeons, the Canadian Society of Colorectal Surgeons and the American Society of Colorectal Surgeons evidence based reviews in surgery - colorectal surgery. Dis Colon Rectum. 2014 Sept; 57(9):1149-51.
Chapters and textbooksBirnbaum EH, Fleshman JW. Anal Manometry. IN: Kuijpers HC (ed), Colorectal Physiology and Fecal Incontinence, CRC Press, Boca Raton 1993.
Kodner IJ, Fry RD, Fleshman JW, Birnbaum EH. Colon, Rectum, and Anus. IN: Schwartz SI (ed), Principles of Surgery, 6th edition, 1191-1306, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, 1993.
Fleshman JW, Kodner IJ, Fry RD, Birnbaum EH. Anal Incontinence. IN: Zuidema G (ed), Shackelford’s Surgery of the Alimentary Tract, 4th edition. WB Saunders, Philadelphia, PA 1995, 386-401.
Birnbaum EH, Alpers D, Cohn S. Colon: Anatomy and Structural Anomalies. IN: Textbook of Gastroenterology, 2nd edition, J.B. Lippincott, Inc., 1995; 1735-1747.
Birnbaum EH. Constipation: Etiology and Evaluation. IN: Brubaker LT (ed), The Female Pelvic Floor: Disorders of Function and Support, F.A. Davis, Co., Philadelphia 1996:188-192.
Birnbaum EH. Management of Advanced and Recurrent Rectal Cancer. IN: Problems in General Surgery, Lippincott-Raven Publishers, Philadelphia, PA, 1996;85-92.
Birnbaum EH. Benign Colorectal Disease. IN: Problems in General Surgery, Lippincott-Raven Publishers, Philadelphia 1997:144-153.
Birnbaum EH, Myerson RJ. Carcinoma of the Anus. IN: Zinner MJ (ed), Maingot’s Abdominal Operations, 10th edition, Appleton & Lange, Stamford, CT, 1997; 1503-1512.
Kodner IJ, Fry RD, Fleshman JW, Birnbaum EH, Read TE. Colon, Rectum, and Anus. IN: Schwartz SI (ed), Principles of Surgery, 7th edition; McGraw-Hill, New York, 1999:1265-1382.
Birnbaum EH. Benign Colorectal Disease. IN: Rosenthal RA (ed) Principles and Practice of Geriatric Surgery 1st edition, Springer, 2000;635.
Majerus E, Birnbaum EH, Picus J. Gastrointestinal Malignancies: Colorectal Malignancies. IN: Govindan R (ed), The Washington Manuel of Oncology 1st edition, Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, 2002; 191-202.
Cohn SM, Birnbaum EH. Colon: Anatomy and Structural Anomalies. IN: Yamada T (ed), Textbook of Gastroenterology 3rd edition. Wiley, 2003; 1771-1774.
Mutch MG, Birnbaum EH, Menias CO. Diagnostic Evaluations-Radiology, Nuclear Scans, PET, CT Colography. IN: Fleshman JW (ed), The ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery, 1st edition, Springer, 2007; 69-100.
Birnbaum EH. Rectovagional Fistula. IN: Cameron J (ed), Current Surgical Therapy 8th Edition, Elsevier, 2008; 272-276.
Birnbaum EH. Radiation Injury to the Large and Small Bowel. IN: Cameron JL (ed), Current Surgical Therapy, 10th edition, Elsevier, 2011; 177-180.
Birnbaum EH. Excisional Hemorrhoidectomy. IN: Fleshman JW (ed), Atlas of Surgical Techniques for the Colon, Rectum and Anus, 1st edition, Elsevier Saunders, 2013; 309-312.
Birnbaum EH. Open Resection Rectopexy for Rectal Prolapse. IN: Fleshman JW (ed), Atlas of Surgical Techniques for the Colon, Rectum and Anus, 1st edition, Elsevier Saunders, 2013; 262-273
Birnbaum EH. Colostomy: End and Divided Loop. IN: Fleshman JW (ed), Atlas of Surgical Techniques for the Colon, Rectum and Anus, 1st edition, Elsevier Saunders, 2013; 354-370.
Birnbaum EH. Surgical Anatomy of the Colon, Rectum, and Anus. IN: Ratto C, Parrello A, Donisi L, Litta F (eds), Colon, Rectum and Anus: Anatomic, Physiologic and Diagnostic Bases for Disease Management, Springer International Publishing, 2017; 9-19.
Birnbaum EH. Ultrasonographic Diagnosis of Anorectal Disease. IN: Yeo C, DeMeester S, McFadden D, Matthews J, Fleshman J (eds) Shackelford’s Surgery of the Alimentary Tract, 8th Edition, Elsevier, 2018; chapter 147.
Editor – Textbooks and InvitedFleshman JW, Birnbaum EH, Hunt, SR, Mutch MG, Kodner IJ, Safar B, Atlas of Surgical Techniques for the Colon, Rectum and Anus, 1st Edition. Elsevier Saunders, Philadelphia
- Shoshanny G, Kimura K, Juame J, Sterman H, Birnbaum E, Stein T, Levine J: A staged approach to long gap esophageal atresia employing a spiral myotomy and delayed reconstruction of the esophagus: An experimental study. J Ped Surg 1988; 23:1218-1221.
- Cohen J, Birnbaum E: Coarctation of the abdominal aorta. J Vasc Surg 1988; 160-164.
- Munoz E, Chalfin D, Birnbaum E, Goldstein J, Mulloy E, Wise L: The identifier concept: clinical parameters to stratify hospital patient costs for hypertensive patients. Heart and Lung: J of Crit Care 1988; 17:550-554.
- Munoz E, Chalfin D, Birnbaum E, Goldstein J, Cohen J, Wise L: Hospital costs and resource characteristics, and the dynamics of death for patients with hypertension. Arch Int Med 1988; 148:1729-1732.
- Munoz E, Chalfin D, Birnbaum E, Mulloy K, Cohen J, Wise L: Hospital costs, resource characteristics, and the dynamics of death for hospital cardiology patients. Heart and Lung J of Crit Care 1989; 18:164-171.
- Munoz E, Chalfin D, Birnbaum E, Goldstein J, Wise L: Hospital costs, resource characteristics, and the dynamics of death for patients with diabetes mellitus. South Med J 1989; 82:300-304.
- Munoz E, Chalfin D, Birnbaum E, Mulloy K, Johnson H, Wise L: Hospital costs, resource characteristics, and the dynamics of death of surgical patients. Hospital and Health Administration 1989; 34:71-83.
- Munoz E, Chalfin D, Birnbaum E, Mulloy K, Johnson H, Wise L. Hospital costs, resource characteristics, and the dynamics of death for patients with a primary diagnosis of congestive heart failure. NY State J Med.1989; 89(2):60-3.
- Cohen J, Sarfati I, Birnbaum E, Benacquista T, Wise L: The inactivation of antithrombin III by serum elastase in patients with surgical infections. Am Surg 1990; 56:665-667.
- Cohen J, Birnbaum E, Kassan M, Wise L: Experience in managing 70 patients with ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysms. NYS J Med 1991; 91:97-100.
- Munoz E, Chalfin D, Goldstein J, Cohen JR, Birnbaum E, Wise L. Hospital costs, resource characteristics, and the dynamics of death for general surgery patients. Surg Annu 1991; 23:137-146.
- Birnbaum EH, Dreznik Z, Myerson RJ, Lacey DL, Fry RD, Kodner IJ, Fleshman JW: Early effect of external beam radiation therapy on the anal sphincter: a study using anal manometry and transrectal ultrasound. Dis Colon Rectum 1992; 35:757-761.
- Fry RD, Birnbaum EH, Lacey DL. Actinomyces as a cause of recurrent perianal fistula in the immunocompromised patient. Surgery 1992; 111:591-4.
- Fleshman JW, Brunt LM, Fry RD, Birnbaum EH, Simmang CL, Mazor A, Soper N, Freeman L, Kodner IJ. Laparoscopic anterior resection of the rectum using a triple stapled intracorporeal anastomosis in the pig. Surgical Laparoscopy and Endoscopy 1993; 3 119-126.
- Kodner IJ, Mazor A, Shemesh EI, Fry RD, Fleshman JW, Birnbaum EH. Endorectal advancement flap repair of rectovaginal and other complicated ano-rectal fistulas. Surgery 1993; 114(4):682-689.
- Zuckerman DA, Bocchini T, Birnbaum EH. Massive hemorrhage in the lower gastrointestinal tract in adults: diagnostic imaging and intervention. AJR 1993; 161:703-711.
- Birnbaum EH, Myerson RJ, Fry RD, Kodner IJ, Fleshman JW. Chronic effects of pelvic radiation therapy on anorectal function. Dis Colon Rectum 1994; 37:909-915.
- Simmang C, Birnbaum EH, Kodner IJ, Fry RD, Fleshman JW. Anal sphincter reconstruction in the elderly: does advancing age affect outcome? Dis Colon Rectum 1994; 37:1065-1069.
- Myerson RJ, Shapiro SJ, Lacey D, Lopez M, Birnbaum EH, Fleshman J, Fry R, Kodner IJ. Carcinoma of the Anal Canal. Am J Clin Oncol (CCT) 1995; 18(1):32-39.
- Myerson RJ, Michalski JM, King ML, Birnbaum E, Fleshman J, Fry R, Kodner I, Lacey D, Lockett MA. Adjuvant radiation therapy for rectal carcinoma: predictors of outcome. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 1995; 32(1):41-50.
- Fleshman JW, Fry RD, Birnbaum EH, Kodner IJ. Laparoscopic assisted and minilaparotomy approaches to colorectal diseases are similar in early outcome. Dis Colon Rectum 1996; 39:15-22.
- Birnbaum EH, Stamm L, Rafferty JF, Fry RD, Kodner IJ, Fleshman JW. Pudendal nerve terminal motor latency influences surgical outcome in treatment of rectal prolapse. Dis Colon Rectum 1996; 39:1215-1221.
- Desai GR, Myerson RJ, Higashikubo R, Birnbaum E, Fleshman J, Fry R, Kodner I, Kucik N, Lacey D, Ribeiro M. Carcinoma of the rectum: possible cellular predictors of metastatic potential and response to radiation therapy. Dis Colon Rectum 1996; 39:1090-1096.
- Ogunbiyi OA, McKenna K, Birnbaum EH, Fleshman JW, Kodner IJ. Aggressive surgical management of recurrent rectal cancer - is it worthwhile? Dis Colon Rectum 1997; 40 150-155.
- Ogunbiyi OA, Goodfellow PJ, Gagliardi G, Swanson PE, Birnbaum EH, Fleshman JW, Kodner IJ, Moley JF. Prognostic value of chromosome 1p allelic loss in colon cancer. Gastroenterology 1997; 113:761-768.
- Ogunbiyi OA, Flanagan FL, Dehdashti F, Siegel BA, Trask DD, Birnbaum EH, Fleshman JW, Read TE, Philpott GW, Kodner IJ. Detection of recurrent and metastatic colorectal cancer: comparison of positron emission tomography and computed tomography. Ann Surg Oncol 1997; 4(8):613-620.
- Wu JS, Birnbaum EH, Kodner IJ, Read TE, Fleshman JW. Laparoscopic-assisted ileocolic resections in Crohn’s patients: are abscesses, phlegmons, or recurrent disease contraindications? Surgery 1997; 122:682-689.
- Wu JS, Birnbaum EH, Fleshman JW. Early experience with laparoscopic abdominoperineal resection. Surgical Endoscopy 1997; 11:449-455.
- Langer JC, Birnbaum EH. Preliminary experience with intrasphincteric botulinum toxin for persistent constipation after pull-through for Hirschsprung’s disease. J Pediatric Surg 1997; 32(7):1059-1062.
- Langer JC, Birnbaum EH, Schmidt RE. Histology and function of the internal anal sphincter after injection of botulinum toxin. J Surg Research 1997; 73:113-116.
- Ogunbiyi OA, Goodfellow PJ, Herfarth K, Gagliardi G, Swanson PE, Birnbaum EH, Read TE, Fleshman JW, Kodner IJ, Moley JF. Confirmation that chromosome 18q allelic loss in colon cancer is a prognostic indicator. J Clin Oncol. 1998; 16(2):427-33.
- Myerson R, Genovesi D, Lockett M, Birnbaum E, Fleshman J, Fry R, Kodner I, Menteer J, Picus J, Read T, Walz B. Five fractions of preoperative radiotherapy for selected cases of rectal carcinoma: Long term tumor control and tolerance to treatment. International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics 1999; 43:537-543.
- Birnbaum EH, Ogunbiyi OA, Gagliardi G, Fry RD, et al. Selection criteria for treatment of rectal cancer with combined external/endocavitary radiation. Dis Colon Rectum, 1999; 42:727-735.
- Yee L, Birnbaum E, Kodner IJ, Read TE, Fleshman JW. Use of endoanal ultrasound in patients with rectovaginal fistula. Dis Colon Rectum 1999; 42:1057-1064.
- Fleshman JW, Wexner SD, Anvari M, LaTulippe J-F, Birnbaum EH, Kodner IJ, Read TE, Nogueras JJ, Weiss EG. Laparoscopic vs. open abdominoperineal resection for cancer. Dis Colon Rectum 1999; 42:930-939.
- Whiteford MH, Whiteford HM, Yee, LF, Ogunbiyi OA, Dehdashti F, Siegel BA, Birnbaum EH, Fleshman JW, Kodner IJ, Read TE. Usefulness of FDG-PET scan in the assessment of suspected metastatic or recurrent adenocarcinoma of the colon and rectum. Dis Colon Rectum 2000; 53:759-770.
- Singh AK, Myerson RJ, Birnbaum EH, Fleshman JW, Kodner IJ, Lockett MA, Read TE. Outcome of patients with rectal adenocarcinoma and localized pelvic non-nodal metastatic foci. Dis Colon Rectum 2000:43; 1217-1221.
- Darzi A, Jakimowicz J, Cohen R, Fleshman J, Birnbaum E, et al. Hand-assisted laparoscopic surgery vs standard laparoscopic surgery for colorectal disease: a prospective randomized trial. HALS Study Group. Surg Endosc 2000; 14(10):896-901.
- Read TE, McNevin MS, Gross EKM, Whiteford HM, Lewis JL, Ratkin G, Picus J, Birnbaum EH, Fleshman JW, Kodner IJ, Myerson RJ. Neoadjuvant therapy for adenocarcinoma of the rectum: tumor response and acute toxicity. Dis Colon Rectum 2001; 44:513-522.
- Ha HT, Fleshman JW, Smith M, Read TE, Kodner IJ, Birnbaum EH. Manometric squeeze pressure difference parallels functional outcome after overlapping sphincter reconstruction. Dis Colon Rectum 2001; 44:655-660.
- Myerson RJ, Singh A, Birnbaum EH, Fry RD, Fleshman JW, Kodner IJ, Lockett MA, Picus J, Walz BJ, Read TE. Pretreatment clinical findings predict outcome for patients receiving preoperative radiation for rectal cancer. Int J Radiation Oncology Biol Phys 2001; 50(3) 665-674.
- Myerson RJ, Valentini V, Birnbaum EH, Cellini N, Coco C, Fleshman JW, Gambacorta MA, Genovesi D, Kodner IJ, Picus J, Ratkin GA, Read TE. A phase I/II trial of three-dimensionally planned concurrent boost radiotherapy and protracted venous infusion of 5-FU chemotherapy for locally advanced rectal carcinoma. Int J Radiation Oncology Biol Phys 2001; 50(5):1299-1308.
- Myerson RJ, Kong F, Birnbaum EH, Fleshman JW, Kodner IJ, Picus J, Ratkin GA, Read TE, Walz BJ. Radiation therapy for epidermoid carcinoma of the anal canal, clinical an treatment factors associated with outcome. Radiotherapy and Oncology 2001; 61:15-22.
- Aumock A, Birnbaum EH, Fleshman JW, Fry RD, Gambacorta MA, Kodner IJ, Malyapa RS Read TE, Walz BJ, Myerson RJ. Treatment of rectal adenocarcinoma with endocavitary and external beam radiotherapy: results for 199 patients with localized tumors. Int J Radiation Oncology Biol Phys 2001; 51(2):363-370.
- Read TE, Ogunbiyi OA, Fleshman JW, Birnbaum EH, Fry RD, Myerson RJ, Kodner IJ. Neoadjuvant external beam radiation and proctectomy for adenocarcinoma of the rectum. Dis Colon Rectum 2001; 44:1778-1790.
- Read TE, McNevin MS, Gross EKM, Whiteford HM, Lewis JL, Ratkin G, Picus J, Birnbaum EH, Fleshman JW, Kodner IJ, Myerson RJ. Neoadjuvant therapy for adenocarcinoma of the rectum: tumor response and acute toxicity. Dis Colon Rectum 2001; 44:513-522.
- Wong WD, Congliosi SM, Spencer MP, Corman ML, Tan P, Opelka FG, Burnstein M, Nogueras JJ, Bailey HR, Devesa JM, Fry RD, Cagir B, Birnbaum E, Fleshman JW, Lawrence MA, Buie WD, Heine J, Edelstein PS, Gregorcyk S, Lehur PA, Michot F, Phang PT, Schoetz DJ, Potenti F, Tsai JY. The safety and efficacy of the artificial bowel sphincter for fecal incontinence: results from a multicenter cohort study. Dis Colon Rectum 2002; 45(9):1139-53.
- Read TE, Myerson RJ, Fleshman JW, Fry RD, Birnbaum EH, Walz BJ, Kodner IJ. Surgeon specialty is associated with outcome in rectal cancer treatment. Dis Colon Rectum 2002; 45 904-914.
- Read TE, Mutch MG, Chang BW, McNevin MS, Fleshman JW, Birnbaum EH, Fry RD, Caushaj PF, Kodner IJ. Locoregional recurrence and survival following curative resection of adenocarcinoma of the colon. ACS Journal 2002; 195:33-40.
- Singer MA, Cintron JR, Fleshman JW, Chaudhry V, Birnbaum EH, Read TE, Spitz JS, Abcarian H. Early experience with stapled hemorrhoidectomy in the United States. Dis Colon Rectum 2002; 45:360-369.
- Winslow ER, Birnbaum EH. Wound complications of laparoscopic versus open colectomy. Surg Endosc 2002; 16:1420-5.
- Myerson R, Zobeiri I, Birnbaum EH, Dietz D, Fleshman J, Kodner I, Picus J, Ratkin G Early results from a phase I/II radiation dose-escalation study with concurrent amifostine and infusional 5-fluorouracil chemotherapy for preoperative treatment of unresectable or locally recurrent rectal carcinoma. Semin Oncol 2002; 29(6 Suppl 19):29-33.
- Read TE, Henry SE, Hovis RM, Fleshman JW, Birnbaum EH, Caushaj PF, Kodner IJ. Prospective Evaluation of anesthetic technique for anorectal surgery. Dis Colon Rectum. 2002; 45(11):1553-8; discussion 1558-60.
- Efron JE, Corman M, Fleshman JW, Barnett J, Nagle D, Birnbaum EH, Weiss EG, Nogueras JJ, Sligh S, Rabine J, Wexner SD. Multi-center, Open Label, Prospective Trial Evaluating the Safety and Effectiveness of Temperature-Controlled Radiofrequency Energy Delivery to the Anal Canal (Secca Procedure) for the Treatment of Fecal Incontinence. Dis Colon Rectum 2003; 46(12):1606-1618.
- Crane CH, Skibber JM, Birnbaum EH, Feig BW, Singh AK, Delcios ME, Lin EH, Fleshman JW, Thames HD, Kodner IJ, Lockett MA, Picus J, Phan T, Chandra A, Janjan NA, Read TE, Myerson RJ. The Addition of Continuous Infusion 5-FU to Preoperative Radiation Therapy Increases Tumor Response, Leading to Increased Sphincter Preservation in Locally Advanced Rectal Cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2003; 59:84-9.
- Sklow B, Read T, Birnbaum E, Fry R, Fleshman J. Age and type of procedure influence the choice of patients for laparoscopic colectomy. Surg Endosc 2003; 17:923-929.
- Read TE, Andujar JE, Caushaj PF, Johnston DR, Dietz DW, Myerson RJ, Fleshman JW, Birnbaum EH, Mutch MG, Kodner, IJ. Neoadjuvant therapy for rectal cancer: histologic response of the primary tumor predicts nodal status. Dis Colon Rectum 2004; 47:825-831
- Margenthaler JA, Dietz DW, Mutch MG, Birnbaum EH, Kodner IJ, Fleshman JW. Outcomes, Risk of Other Malignancies and Need for Formal Mapping Procedures in Patients with Perianal Bowen’s Disease. Dis Colon Rectum 2004; 47:1655-60, Discussion 1660-1.
- Loungnarath R, Dietz D, Mutch MG, Birnbaum EH, Kodner IJ, Fleshman JW. Fibrin Glue Treatment of Complex Anal Fistulas Has Low Success Rate. Dis Colon Rectum 2004; 47 432-436.
- Winslow ER, Kodner IJ, Mutch MG, Birnbaum EH, Fleshman JW, Dietz DW. Outcome of salvage abdominoperineal resection after failed endocavitary radiation in patients with rectal cancer. Dis Colon Rectum 2004; 47(12):2039-46.
- Ristvedt SL, Birnbaum EH, Dietz DW, Fleshman JW, Kodner IJ, Read TE. Delayed Treatment for Rectal Cancer. Dis Colon Rectum 2005; 48:1736-1741.
- Glasgow SC, Birnbaum EH, Lowney JK, Fleshman JW, Kodner IJ, Mutch DG, Lewin S, Mutch MG, Dietz DW. Rectrorectal Tumors: A Diagnostic and Therapeutic Challenge. Dis Colon Rectum 2005; 48:1581-7.
- Cotter SE, Grigsby PW, Siegel BA, Dehdashti F, Malyapa RS, Fleshman JW, Birnbaum EH, Abbey E, Tan B, Kodner IJ, Hunt SR, Lowney JK, Mutch MG, Dietz DW, Myerson RJ. FDG-PET/CT in the evaluation of anal carcinoma. Intl J Rad Onco Biol Phys 2006; 65:720-5.
- Glasgow S, Birnbaum EH, Kodner IJ, Fleshman JW, Dietz DW. Preoperative Anal Manometry Predicts Continence After Perineal Proctectomy for Rectal Prolapse. Dis Colon Rectum 2006; 49:1052-8.
- Lowney JK, Dietz DW, Birnbaum EH, Kodner IJ, Mutch MG, Fleshman JW. Is There Any Difference in Recurrence Rates in Laparocopic Ileocolic Resection for Crohn’s Disease Compared with Conventional Surgery? A Long-Term, Follow Up Study. Dis Colon Rectum 2006; 49:58-63.
- Stewart D, Yan Y, Kodner IJ, Birnbaum E, Fleshman J, Myerson R, Dietz D. Salvage surgery after failed chemoradiation for anal canal cancer: should the paradigm be changed for high-risk tumors? J Gastrointest Surg 2007; 11(12):1744-51.
- Stewart D, Yan Y, Mutch M, Kodner I, Hunt S, Lowney J, Birnbaum E, Read T, Fleshman J, Dietz D. Predictors of disease-free survival in rectal cancer patients undergoing curative proctectomy. Colorectal Dis 2008; 10(9):879-86.
- Glasgow SC, Birnbaum EH, Kodner IJ, Fleshman JW Jr, Dietz DW. Recurrence and Quality of life following perineal proctectomy for rectal prolapse. J Gastrointest Surg 2008; 12(8):1446-51.
- Marcello PW, Fleshman JW, Milsom JW, Read TE, Arnell TD, Birnbaum EH, Feingold DL, Lee SW, Mutch MG, Sonoda T, Yan Y, Whelan RL. Hand-assisted laparoscopic vs. laparoscopic colorectal surgery: a multicenter, prospective, randomized trial. Dis Colon Rectum 2008; 51(6):818-26.
- Myerson RJ, Outlaw ED, Chang A, Birnbaum EH, Fleshman JW, Grigsby PW, Kodner IJ, Malyapa RS, Mutch MG, Picus J, Tan BR. Radiation Therapy for Epidermoid Carcinoma of the Anus: A Thirty Year Experience. Int J Rad Onc Biol. Phys, 2009; 75(2):428-35.
- Chung TP, Fleshman JW, Birnbaum EH, Hunt SR, Dietz DW, Read TE, Mutch MG. Laparoscopic vs open total abdominal colectomy for severe colitis: impact on recovery and subsequent completion restorative proctectomy. Dis Colon Rectum. 2009; 52(1): 4-10.
- Stewart D, Chao A, Kodner I, Birnbaum E, Fleshman J, Dietz D. Subtotal colectomy for toxic and fulminant colitis in the era of immunosuppressive therapy. Colorectal Dis 2009; 11(2):184-90.
- Finan, KR, Lewis JS; Winslow E, Mutch MG, Birnbaum, EH, Fleshman JW. Ex Vivo Sentinel Lymph Node Mapping in Patients Undergoing Proctectomy for Rectal CancerDis Colon Rectum 2010; 53(3):243-250.
- Loungnarath R, Mutch MG, Birnbaum EH, Read TE, Fleshman JW. Laparoscopic colectomy using cancer principles is appropriate for colonoscopically unresectable adenomas of the colon. Dis Colon Rectum 2010 Jul; 53(7):1017-22.
- Cellini C, Hunt SR, Fleshman JW, Birnbaum EH, Bierhals AJ, Mutch MG. Stage IV rectal cancer with liver metastases: is there a benefit to resection of the primary tumor? World J Surg 2010; 34(5):1102-8.
- Fajardo AD, Dharmarajan S, George V, Hunt SR, Birnbaum EH, Fleshman JW, Mutch MG. Laparoscopic versus open 2-stage ileal pouch: laparoscopic approach allows for faster restoration of intestinal continuity. J Am Coll Surg 2010; 211(3):377-83.
- Baik SH, Gincherman M, Mutch MG, Birnbaum EH, Fleshman JW. Laparoscopic vs open resection for patients with rectal cancer: comparison of perioperative outcomes and long term survival. Dis Colon Rectum 2011; 54(1):6-20.
- Dharmarajan S, Hunt S, Birnbaum E, Fleshman J, Mutch M. The Efficacy of Nonoperative Management of Acute Complicated Diverticulitis. Dis Colon Rectum 2011; 54(6):663-71.
- Dharmarajan S, Shuai D, Fajardo AD, Birnbaum EH, Hunt SR, Mutch MG, Fleshman JW, Lin AY. Clinically enlarged lateral pelvic lymph nodes do not influence prognosis after neoadjuvant therapy and TME in stage III rectal cancer. J Gastrointest Surg 2011; 15(8):1368-74.
- Patel J, Fleshman J, Hunt S, Safar B, Birnbaum E, Lin A, Mutch M. Is an Elective Diverting Colostomy Warranted in Patients with an Endoscopically Obstructing Rectal Cancer before Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy? Dis Colon Rectum 2012; 55(3): 249-255.
- Cintron JR, Abcarian H, Chaudhry V, Singer M, Hunt S, Birnbaum E, Mutch M, Fleshman J. Treatment of fistula-in-ano using a porcine small intestinal submucosa anal fistula plug. Tech Coloproctol 2013; 17(2):187-91.
- Strouch MJ, Zhou G, Fleshman J, Birnbaum EH, Hunt SR, Mutch, MG. Time to initiation of postoperative chemotherapy: an outcome measure for patients undergoing laparoscopic resection for rectal cancer. Dis Colon Rectum 2013; 56(8):945-51.
- Klos CL, Safar B, Hunt SR, Wise PE, Birnbaum EH, Mutch MG, Fleshman JW, Dharmarajan S. Accordion complication grading predicts short-term outcome after right colectomy. J Surg Res 2014; 190(2):510-6.
- Klos CL, Safar B, Jamal N, Hunt SR, Wise PE, Birnbaum EH, Fleshman JW, Mutch MG, Dharmarajan S. Obesity increases risk for pouch-related complications following restorative proctocolectomy with ileal pouch-anal anastomosis (IPAA). J Gastrointest Surg 2014; 18 (3):573-9.
- Myerson RJ, Tan B, Hunt SR, Olsen J, Birnbaum E, Fleshman J, Gao Feng, Hall L, Kodner I, Lockhart AC, Mutch M, Naughton M, Picus J, Ridgen C, Safar B, Sorscher S, Suresh R, Wang-Gillam A, Parikh P. Five fractions of radiation therapy followed by 4 cycles of FOLFOX chemotherapy as preoperative treatment for rectal cancer. Intl J Radiation Oncol Biol Phys 2014; 88(4):829-36.
- Agarwal S, Gincherman M, Birnbaum E, Fleshman JW, Mutch M. Comparison of long-term follow up of laparoscopic vs open colectomy for transverse colon cancer. Proc (Bayl Univ Med Cent) 2015; 28(3):296-9.
- Fleshman J, Branda M, Sargent DJ, Boller AM, George V, Abbas M, Peters WR Jr, Maun D, Chang G, Herline A, Fichera A, Mutch M, Wexner S, Whiteford M, Marks J, Birnbaum E, Margolin D, Larson D, Marcello P, Posner M, Read T, Monson J, Wren SM, Pisters PW, Nelson H. Effect of Laparoscopic-Assisted Resection vs Open Reseciton of Stage II or III Rectal Cancer on Pathologic Outcomes: The ACOSOG Z6051 Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA 2015; 314(13):1346-55.
- Klos CL, Safar B, Wise PE, Hunt SR, Mutch MG, Birnbaum EH, Fleshman JW, Dharmarajan S. Impaired outcome colitis-associated rectal cancer versus sporadic cancer. J Surg Res 2016; 204(1):123-9.
- Roy A, Mahasittiwat P, Weiner AA, Hunt SR, Mutch MG, Birnbaum EH, Kodner IJ, Read TE, Fleshman JW, Olsen JR, Myerson RJ, Parikh PJ. Preoperative short-course radiatio therapy for rectal cancer provides excellent disease control and toxicity: Results from a single US institution. Pract Radiat Oncol 2017; 7(1):e51-e58.
- Papaconstantinou H, Ricciardi R, Margolin D, Bergamaschi R, Moesinger R, Lichliter W, Birnbaum E. A novel wound retractor combining continuous irrigation and barrier protection reduces incisional contamination in colorectal surgery. World J Surg 2018; 42(9):3000-3007.
- Papaconstantinou HT, Birnbaum EH, Ricciardi R, Margolin DA, Moesinger RC, Lichliter WE, Thomas JS, Bergamaschi R. Impact of a Novel Surgical Wound Protection Device on Observed versus Expected Surgical Site Infection Rates after Colectomy Using the National Surgical Quality Improvement Program Risk Calculator. Surg Infect (Larchmt). 2019; 20(1):35-38.
- Geltzeiler C, Birnbaum E, Silviera M, Mutch M, Vetter J, Wise P, Hunt S, Glasgow S. Combined rectopexy and sacrocolpopexy is safe for correction of pelvic organ prolapse. International Journal of Colorectal Disease 2018; 33(10):1453-1459.
- Chapman BC, Goodman K, Hosokawa P, Gleisner A, Cowan ML, Birnbaum E, Vogel JD. Improved survival in rectal cancer patients who are treated with long-course versus short-course neoadjuvant radiotherapy: A propensity-matched analysis of the NCDB. J Surg Oncol 2019; 119(4):518-531.
Did you know?Dr. Birnbaum loves gardening and is trying to adapt to the Mile High growing season.
Many of the patients who I see have seen multiple physicians and have been told that there is nothing they can offer. It is very gratifying when I can make a diagnosis and treat a problem that others have not been able to treat. Dr. Elisa H. Birnbaum